Sunday, April 8, 2012

Peeps!

The best part of today is the countdown to markdowns! The violently neon colored chicks and bunnies of marshmallow and dubious sweeteners, colorants and preservatives will hit the POP (point of purchase) displays near checkout stands in every grocery and drugstore in town in the week to come. Eastern Orthodoxy celebrates the holiday next weekend, so the sales might be postponed.  Or not.

It's a very partisan candy treat. One either loves Peeps or hates Peeps.  One of the most charming things about Peeps is the imperfections like the occasional smushed beaks or wonky eyes.  Nearly formless, backboneless blobs all gathered together seem far more substantial than any isolated Peep.

To separate them means to tear away a part of each, like the yellow guys in the protest photo on the right.  Now there is some community solidarity. 

Sadly, just one doesn't sate the appetite. It takes many to achieve sweet bliss.  And then it starts all over again.











I'm mocked by family for my love of Peeps. Doesn't matter.  I look forward to this time with a smile on my face. Don't make me ashamed of my Peeps!